A Theatre Tent Under the Open SkyWe have created a place where time stands still and worries melt away. A place with a unique genius loci, inside the green heart of Stromovka park, where cultural experiences are served. Welcome to the theatre tent Azyl78. Its round stage will grab you and never let go.
Lucky number two. The year 2022. The second season at Azyl78 in the name of two strong, original performances. Our Azyl78 scene embodies freedom – after all, canvas is thinner than walls. Peel back the tarp and look inside.
The Upcoming Season
Do not miss the contemporary circus show Cesty by director Rosťa Novák in the spring. The largest and most complex performance in the history of the Cirk La Putyka company, which was created by its founders. See 35 first-class acrobats, actors and dancers perform circus acts including the Cyr wheel, aerial acrobatics, teeterboards and more. All topped off with costumes, scenography, our own band, storytelling and the extraordinary imagination of Cirk La Putyka.
In June, you will plunge into the depths of the jungle and discover the laws that govern it. The premiere of the music and dance adaptation of Kipling’s The Jungle Book is being prepared in the shared kitchen of the Forman Brothers’ Theatre, DEKKADANCERS and the Czech Philharmonic Orchestra. Its main authors are music composer Marko Ivanović and theatre director and artist Matěj Forman. This magical theatre production will delight music, dance and adventure lovers of all ages.
The Azyl78 scene is run by our theatre crew at Jatka78. The idea of owning a big top tent was partly due to the planned reconstruction of our permanent venue in the Prague Market. Although the reconstruction has yet to start and we are performing both at the theatre and at Azyl78, the big top has become our second home. We can now bring the work and philosophy of Jatka78 anywhere we want. In Prague, we have found the ideal location within the Prague Exhibition Grounds, right next to the Stromovka park, which is where we built our circus village in 2021 and will return this season.
The tent holds 520 spectator seats and has been custom designed by circus masters in Italy. Its exterior became a canvas for painter Lukáš Musil, who lent it his signature style of black lines and symbols. He finished the entire piece during the summer of 2021, transforming the big top into a monumental artistic object. In its first season, Azyl78 welcomed 29,456 spectators. During the pandemic, the tent provided “asylum” to 20 different theatres and cultural projects as part of its one-year trial run.
This year, our crew will begin building the tent at the end of March. Tickets to see the performances Cesty and The Jungle Book are now on sale.
The Azyl78 project is supported by the Prague City Hall. Thank you!
- Time flies. We recommend arriving in advance. We start on time and spectators are not allowed in once the show has begun.
- Finding your spot. Seats are not assigned and you’ll get a good view of the stage everywhere. The show is adjusted to a round arena and spectators are seated on wooden benches.
- Change is the only constant. However, tickets are not exchangeable or refundable.
- Discount tickets are where it’s at. A valid student card or another form of ID is required to obtain a discount. The theatre and toilets are wheelchair accessible.
- Kids will be kids. And they will need their own ticket. Please respect the age recommendations for each performance. Our shows are generally not suited for children under the age of five.
- Woof! We welcome dogs at the bar, but they are not allowed inside the theatre tent.
- Don’t forget your coat. The evenings can get chilly and muddy. Weather is beyond our control. You are entering a summer stage, which is covered, but still outdoors. We recommend dressing for all kinds of weather and bringing a blanket, just in case.
- Thirsty? Beverages are not to be consumed inside the tent. We recommend having a drink at the theatre bar before or after the show.
- Bugs will be bugs. A couple of mosquitos won’t close a theatre, but if you plan on hanging out at the Jungle BKAO bar into the late-night hours, be prepared to tackle some insects. Bug repellent works!
- Bar. Right beside the main outdoor venue you will find the Jungle BKAO bar. During the day, it serves as a relaxing stop after a walk around Stromovka. Come evening, the bar pulses with unmistakable energy and is overflowing with life. Most of the time you can grab a snack at one of the local food trucks.
- Always be prepared. In other words, be ready to face the forces of nature. A cultural adventure awaits. We look forward to seeing you!